85 HR Prenatal Yoga Teacher + Doula Training
Yoga and holistic birth support are potent therapeutic tools to empower the birthing journey from pregnancy to parenthood. This internationally recognized training program will ignite your journey to support healing and transformation during pregnancy and beyond. Sacred Birth focuses on nurturing conscious pregnancy and parenthood while addressing the medical, political and spiritual considerations of birthing.
Sacred Birth, Doula and Prenatal Yoga Training is an 85+ hour dual certificate training. This training equips yoga teachers with tools to empower and support pregnant women throughout their pregnancies and labor.
We encourage participants to explore and awaken to the radically healing potential of yoga and holistic birth support as therapeutic tools to empower the birthing journey from pregnancy to motherhood. After the completion of this course, yoga teachers will feel confident accommodating pregnant women in their regular classes, as well as be equipped to teach prenatal, couples workshops and postnatal yoga classes.
THIS TRAINING IS RECOMMENDED FOR:
Our program is holistically designed for those who are interested in learning a mind-body approach to pregnancy, childbirth and parenting preparation with a therapeutic focus.
• Yogis interested in learning about women’s health, pregnancy and conscious birthing
• Yoga teachers seeking to develop a niche in prenatal yoga and to deepen their facilitation and community building skills
• Educators, counselors, midwives, healthcare professionals and women interested in expanding their knowledge in reproductive health and women-centered yoga practice
YOGA + SACRED BIRTH
GOALS OF THIS COURSE:
• Teach prenatal yoga therapeutically to support a healthy pregnancy and birth
• Learn how to safely modify postures for pregnancy, with knowledge of modifications, contraindicated and beneficial postures for each trimester
• Understand anatomy and physiology of pregnancy, including western and eastern perspectives and the effects of pregnancy on the body, mind and spirit
• Gain a thorough understanding of birthing and pregnancy
• Learn skills that are immediately applicable to all of your classes
• Be mentored by a team of experienced and passionate teachers who are leaders in the field
• Explore the landscape of Birth in all its realms: physiological, psychological, sociological, historical, political and spiritual
• Acquire knowledge and tools to heal your own birthing stories
• Discover your authentic teaching voice and uncover the unique gifts that you have to offer through class exercise, the use of imagery, sequencing, birth art and facilitator support
• Encourage the harmonization of hormones and energy levels using yogic wisdom
• Design skillful sequencing, positions for labour, asana for childbirth preparation and postnatal recommendations for recovery
• Integrate all aspects of the practice: asana, breath work (pranayama), vocal toning (mantra), relaxation, working with themes, massage and pain reduction techniques to help create a more positive and relaxed birthing experience
• Come to an embodied understanding of our innate wisdom and the miracle of birth
All women are welcome, including the pregnant and postpartum. Babies in arms are welcome too!
PRENATAL YOGA TEACHER TRAINING TOPICS COVERED:
• The stages of pregnancy and effects on body and mind
• The physiology of pregnancy and childbirth
• Pregnancy and childbirth as a journey
• Deconstructing and transforming our relationship to pain
• The benefits of prenatal and postnatal yoga
• Modifications, contraindications and beneficial asanas for each trimester
• Postures to support a healthy pregnancy
• Sequencing and class themes
• Hands-on assisting in prenatal yoga
• Pranayama and sound techniques
• Relaxation and visualization for childbirth preparation and support of the birth experience
• Integrating mindfulness and cultivating awareness in your classes
• Incorporating imagery into cueing for breathwork and asana
• Massage, birthing techniques and laboring positions using yoga
• Postnatal yoga for healing and beneficial asanas to support the body after childbirth
• Simple infant massage and infant stimulation routine
• How to create a supportive community in your class environment
We’ve combined doula training into the program to provide a well-rounded knowledge base and approach to yoga teaching. Whether you choose to attend births or not, the knowledge, training, and hands-on experience gained from this portion will be invaluable to being able to fully support pregnant women and their families. In the 18 hours dedicated to this topic, you will deepen your knowledge of the emotional, physical, and psychological aspects of pregnancy, birth, and the early parenting experience so you will feel prepared to answer common questions accurately and knowledgeably.
DOULA CERTIFICATION TOPICS COVERED:
• Role of the Doula
• Emotional, physical, and informational support of women and families in the prenatal period, at birth, and in the early postpartum period
• Involving support people
• Comfort measures
• Common interventions and medications
• How to become a Certified Doula with Awakened Spirit
• Scope of practice and Code of Ethics
• Interprofessional relationships
• How to build a Doula business
IN THIS COURSE YOU WILL:
• Receive an internationally recognized certification in yoga teaching and leadership
• Open and close your journey with a traditional Mayan Fire Ceremony
• Learn the fundamentals of our holistic and interdisciplinary approach to yoga
• Visit successful permaculture projects and learn from local wisdom keepers
• Discover the resources, inspiration, and community support you are seeking to create sustainable change
• Nourish your mind, body and spirit through daily yoga, meditation and living in harmony with the earth
• Return home with a renewed sense of purpose and passion, expanded community and heartfelt inspiration
WHAT’S UNIQUE ABOUT OUR APPROACH:
With deep roots in Northern India, our approach blends traditional Hatha, Vinyasa and the fundamentals of therapeutic yoga to support individuals in leading joyful, empowered lives. Our alignment-based system incorporates mindfulness and traditional yogic wisdom with a modern understanding of the body. We believe yoga is for all people and create safe, inclusive, and engaging learning environments for you to discover your own potential. Our curriculum is developed around the three pillars of Mind, Body & Earth, believing that they are essential, interconnected aspects of the yogic path.
SAMPLE DAILY FLOW:
6:30am Yoga & Movement practice
9am Yoga Philosophy
10:45am Yoga Lab, Anatomy or Methodology
2pm Yoga Philosophy
4:15pm Yoga Lab, Therapeutics or Methodology
8pm Evening activity (meditation, circle, movie or reflection)*
*3 times per week
*first day starts with dinner and last day ends after breakfast
THIS PROGRAM INCLUDES:
• Daily guided yoga practices
• Eligibility to qualify for doula certification with DONA (Doulas of North America)
• 85 hour Yoga Alliance Registered Prenatal Yoga Teaching Certification
To gain Yoga Alliance certification as RPYT, a 200-Hour Yoga Teacher Training is required. Others can participate but will not be eligible for registration as a Prenatal Yoga Teacher through Yoga Alliance.
PARTICIPANTS ALSO REQUIRE:
• A minimum of 75-contact hours with Julia Forest (the training meets this requirement)
• 10 observation hours observing or assisting classes in your community
• Successful completion of teaching practicum with support of Julia, teaching team and peers
• 10 hours of homework readings to be completed after the course (this will be assigned in class)
ABOUT AWAKENED SPIRIT YOGA:
Awakened Spirit Yoga is a Yoga Alliance Registered Yoga School (RYS 200) and one of the few Registered Prenatal Yoga Schools (RPYS). We offer an 85-hour prenatal training as well as a combined prenatal yoga training and doula course. Intimate classes allow our dedicated team of teachers to provide personal attention, expert guidance and personal feedback throughout our trainings.
Graduates of both of our programs are eligible for Registered Prenatal Yoga Teacher (RPYT) designation with Yoga Alliance.
ABOUT YOUR FACILITATORS…
FOUNDER + TRAINING DIRECTOR
Julia Forest is an international yoga teacher, women’s health advocate, writer and closet artist who is passionate about health, environmentalism and yoga. She feels most at home wherever she rolls out her mat and finds inner peace and connection from a daily meditation practice. She created the Yoga Leadership and Permaculture Program, the first yoga teacher training program that combines yoga, mindfulness, permaculture and leadership to transform lives and communities.
With more than a decade of teaching experience, Julia believes that yoga comes alive when practiced in every moment. She shares wholeheartedly the many blessings that yoga has brought to her life. Her passion for yoga, social change, connection and community has lead her to share holistic yoga teachings in many countries around the globe.
Stefanie Antunes has been a Lamaze® Educator and doula since 2002, after the birth of her second son showed her just how valuable it is to be prepared for birth and to have good support around you.
Stefanie is a visionary in the childbirth field. She leads the Discover Birth organization providing a variety of services to expectant parents and training for those wishing to pursue work in the childbirth field. Stefanie is the president of the Ontario Association of Doulas, former Public Relations Director for DONA International. and sits on many local boards and coalitions to improve our communities. She is a DONA-approved Birth Doula Trainer, and runs the Canadian Institute of Childbirth Educators, a Lamaze-Accredited Childbirth Educator Program.
Stefanie is the founder of The Birth Doula Program at the Scarborough Hospital.
Stefanie is a contributing author in the best selling Power of Women United and the book Bearing Witness: Childbirth Stories Told by Doulas. She is a regular contributing writer and blogger, and has done many interviews online and for TV/radio.
She believes that the world can be a better place if parents can have more positive childbirth experiences, allowing them to bond properly with their babies. She works tirelessly to change the world in this aspect…one family at a time.
UPCOMING TRAINING DATES:
APRIL 11-19, 2020
FEBRUARY 12-20, 2021
Tuition is paid directly to Awakened Spirit Yoga using the register buttons below.