Permaculture Work Trade Opportunities
The Yoga Forest is a young dynamic earth-based spirit community. We are still in the process of evolving social, ecological and economic structures and recognize that this journey will be ever unfolding. Together, with the help of work traders, staff, students and a crew of local Mayans, many beautiful things have been created here and there is still much to be done. We love to connect with mutually supportive souls and to expand the evolution of humanity toward a communitarian way of life, a way of life that harmonizes nature with spirit.
We are seeking a capable, solutions oriented and passionate Permaculture coordinator to oversee and grow and develop our Permaculture systems at The Yoga Forest. An ideal candidate for this position is one who resonates with the vision of our community and is inspired to explore this interconnection and personal evolution for the benefit of all being.
At The Yoga Forest we aim to practice sacred stewardship. True stewardship of the earth can not be accomplished without each individual doing the deep inner work. We believe that there is an inextricable link between our inner and outer landscapes and we can not fully offer healing to the land without working on ourselves and vise versa. As a community we work to create a deep awareness of our body, speech and mind along with how we interact with the world. The ultimate goal is to fully immerse into the divine intelligence of nature and offer a humble and positive example for humanity.
On a day to day basis the coordinator would be involved in:
- Helping develop our Permaculture site, plans and projects lists and then following through in implementing them
- Hands on Permaculture work (soil building, carring for the nursery, planting, earthworks, water management, caring for the gardens, and in general maintaining and improving all of our permaculture systems)
- Manage our Permaculture and Carpentry Work Trade staff s in Permaculture and Natural Building projects and other community needs. The number of work trade staff can vary from just a few to 4-6. This will involve keeping everyone on task and trained.
- Working with our locan Mayan staff in order to harmonise project and maintenance tasks of the forest, and estvalish coherence and balance between the local and foreign teams.
- Teaching a weekly Permaculture workshop to our Work Trade Staff in English as well as teaching a Spanish Permaculture workshop every two weeks to our local Mayan team.
- Develop local outreach and education programs.
- Opportunities to run your own Permaculture workshops and courses, as well as being involved co-teaching during our PDC courses.
- Being an active community member and collaboratively contributing to the growth of our community infrastructure and needs.
Requirements to apply:
- Hands on experience working on Permaculture projects including working with plants, earthworks, agroforestry, water and earthworks (tropical experience is a plus but not required)
- Completion of a Permaculture Design Certificate
- High level of conversational Spanish
- Experience managing working teams
- Teaching experience is a plus
This position requires a minimum of 6 months commitment, and offers a local wage as compensation. This is a unique opportunity for potential candidates looking to establish themselves in a young eco-spiritual community. This position allows opportunity to create your own workshops and courses for the public. If you are interested in developing dynamic leadership and management skills, as well as guide a community in the process of evolving social, ecological and economic structures, please download the Application Form and email it back to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Carpenter/ Natural Building Work Trade
Passion for Permaculture and sustainable living? We are looking for unique individuals with abilities to design, build, remodel, retrofit, maintain and repair various types of facilities and structures of The Yoga Forest. Ability to work autonomously to design and implement your own projects as well as working in a team. Minimum commitment of three months to be considered, six months commitment preferred.
Permaculture Work Trade
Understanding of Permaculture principles and green living are a must. Responsible for the care of forest gardens, animals, aquaculture systems, greenhouse management and daily farm tasks. You will partner with our Permaculture Coordinator and be a present mentor to Permaculture students during course times.
You need to possess the ability to work autonomously to design and implement your own projects as well as working in a team. Minimum commitment of three months to be considered, six months commitment preferred.
Work Trade Details
Our work trade opportunities are all for minimum 3 month commitments. A one month trial period is required prior to commencing your work trade at a cost of US$500 for the first month, staying in our shared circus tent accommodations. If you prefer your own private space, you will need to bring your own tent.
During the first trial month, you will be oriented to our systems, your expectations and responsibilities and we hope to observe your commitment to service within the community. After the first trial month is completed, if both parties agree that you are a suitable fit, your work trade will commence for a minimum of two more months, however three to six month commitments will be preferred.
In exchange, work traders will get to enjoy three delicious vegetarian meals a day, daily yoga practice, and a fulfilling role within our holistic friendly community. If you are interested in joining our community and completig a Work Trade, please download the Application Form and email it back to email@example.com
After successful completion of a three month work trade, you will be refunded 50% of your US$500 deposit. If you stay on with us for a further three month work trade, completing a total of six months, you will receive 100% refund of your initial US$500 deposit upon successful completion.