Frequently Asked Questions
How do I find The Yoga Forest?
Please see our Getting Here page for details. Print a copy and bring with you to make your journey smoother. Remember that we are a 25-30 minute hike from the lakefront up into the mountain valley, and there is a free escorted walk each day at 3pm from our Meeting Point at Circles Cafe in town when we are expecting arrivals - however you still need to ask the Circles staff to CALL US when you arrive so we are aware you are waiting for an escort. If you arrive after 3pm, Circles Cafe staff will call you a tuk-tuk & escort service with trusted tuk-tuk drivers and you will need to pay them Q20 each on arrival to The Yoga Forest. Please do not arrive after 7pm, our gate will be closed.
Travel to us with a backpack, a head lamp and a spirit of adventure.
What time can I arrive?
Check in time for cabañas is 3pm, and check out time is 10am. This is in order for us to get beds changed and ready for your arrival, and the following guests. If you would like to depart later than 10am, we have a secure place for you to store your bags in our office.
We would prefer that you do not arrive to The Yoga Forest before 3pm. Your first included service is Restorative Yoga at 4pm followed by dinner at 6.30pm. On departure day, you have included 7am morning meditation and yoga class, followed by breakfast at 8.30am, and checkout is required by 10am.
Lunch is not included on arrival or departure days, and will be charged at Q50 (US$7).
Is there internet available?
We have limited internet available at The Yoga Forest using our forest laptop during office hours (1-3pm). We ask that guests use this minimally (15 min max) and try to disconnect during their stay with us. The reason for this is that we have created a unique retreat space where we encourage you to disconnect from modern day distractions and fully immerse yourself in the experience of being here now!
What should I bring with me?
It is necessary to bring your own biodegradable toiletries, a towel, and layers of clothing to suit varying temperatures during the day and night. All bedding is provided. Natural insect repellent comes in handy and a headlamp is a necessity. If you are staying for a while we recommend a solar powered light and a solar rechargeable power cell to charge your devices so you don't need to rely on our system which only offers access for one hour a day each morning to our solar charging station.
If you like, we have a Wish List for those coming from Western Countries, feel free to help by bringing any of these wishes, or email email@example.com with your postal address if you are willing to bring items down for us that we may ship to you!
How can I pay for my stay?
We only accept reservations directly on our website using the Paypal service and bookingbug system. We are also listed on Airbnb and can accept payment for longer stay reservations through direct deposit or bank transfer to our US or Guatemalan bank accounts. If you are planning a longer stay and would prefer to pay via bank transfer or direct deposit, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. For a reservation we require a payment prior to your arrival at The Yoga Forest. We can accept credit cards once you are on site if you wish to extend your stay or pay for any extra services incurred.
What is included in my rate?
Inclusive rates include two daily yoga classes, three vegetarian meals, weekly use of the sauna, and any other free community activities such as kirtan, satsang, temple dance, new or full moon ceremonies etc.
Can I cancel my stay or course?
For cancellations to guest reservations;
- 90+ days notice; YF offers a 100% refund
- 30-90 days notice; YF offers a 75% refund
- Between 30 and 7 days prior to arrival; YF policy offers a 50% refund
- Less than 7 days notice of cancellation, there is no refund
Amendments to Guest Stays;
- If you shorten the length of your visit during your stay with us; YF policy offers a 50% discount on the difference between original and final rates.
General Course Cancellations;
- All deposits are non-refundable, but are transferable to other dates or courses
Yoga Teacher Trainings;
- Postponement/ Transfer to another Yoga Forest YTT course, 100% credit for R&B to another program
- Full cancellation of Yoga Forest training more than 90 days of course commencement, 100% refund on R&B
- Full cancellation of Yoga Forest training within 30-90 days of course commencement, 75% refund on R&B
- Full cancellation of Yoga Forest training within 30 days of course commencement, 50% refund on R&B
- Full cancellation of Yoga Forest training within 7 days of course commencement, there is no refund
Off the grid living..
The Yoga Forest is an off-the-grid experience. Composting bathrooms, outdoor shower and naturally built cabañas without electricity. There are no private bathrooms anywhere on the property.
We only have a little electricity in our cafe and kitchen for lights, and as such we cannot charge everyone's devices on our simple solar system. Another reason to be disconnected!
There are spiders and scorpions in the forest. It is a forest, there are other creatures too of course. But it is always good to know. Mosquitoes are not a problem, but there are small coffee flies that can be bothersome during the early dry season. Bring some natural insect repellent or wear long pants.
What to Bring?
- Journal and/or Notebook (Pens/Pencils)
- Yoga Clothes
- Comfortable hang out and warm clothes for night, long sleeves and trouser with socks to avoid bug bites
- Sandals/Flip Flops & Walking Shoes
- Organic mosquito repellent
- Toiletries (Organic & Biodegradable - including hand & body soap, shampoo, toothpaste, tooth brush)
- Travel towel
- Personal Medications (or not?!)
- A Moon cup for your moon cycle (Divacup, Femmecup etc) we also have some for sale if you need
- Probiotics and or any other appropriate preventative medicine
- Eco Water bottle
- Thermos mug for tea
- Headlamp with batteries
- Solar powered light
- Solar rechargeable powercell to charge devices if you are bringing them
- Alarm clock
- Any Spiritual Books you would like to read or share
Please leave behind;
Any plastics bags or water bottles and anything that will become trash. Please be conscious of taking all items you bring up the mountain back down with you, including empty shampoo bottles etc!
ring less devices as The Yoga Forest has limited charging capacities operating on a simple solar system,
Like more information?
Please download our Guest Handbook to help prepare you for your stay with us.